- Días: 9 y 10 de mayo de 2019.
- Lugar: Barcelona. Disseny Hub Barcelona, Plaça de les Glòries Catalanes, 37-38, 08018 Barcelona
- Accede aquí a la agenda del Programa: REFRESH-Conference-Agenda-2019.
The goal of the REFRESH Final Conference will be to showcase the results of the REFRESH project and spur future action on food waste among business, policy, research, and civil society.
The programme on the main day on 10 May will take place in the Barcelona Design Museum.
Preceding the conference, in the afternoon of 9 May, a selection of field trips and activity will be offered, featuring food waste innovators from business and civil society in the Barcelona area.
1. Food-for-Thought: an Interactive Dialogue over Dinner about Food Sustainability in the City
It’s not everyday you get to sit down and enjoy a delicious vegetarian meal with a guided discussion on food itself! Join us for an open & interactive dialogue over dinner to talk sustainable food and what this term actually means in the urban context. As a seasoned conversation starter on the topic, Mayya Papaya will be your host serving up some serious food-for-thought as she draws inspiration from all sorts of sustainable food examples and experiences in the city of Barcelona and beyond. Come share your impressions as we collectively cook-up an engaging conversation together in preparation for the REFRESH Final Conference! The dinner will start at 7pm at an up’n’coming co-kitchen space run by a young & dynamic couple that are real-life champions for sustainable food and living in all that they do. They will be preparing a 3-course meal using seasonal and sustainably sourced ingredients and biodynamic wine to fuel the occasion.
- Host: Mayya Papaya, Foodisms
- Time: 19:00 – 21:00
- Location: an up’n’coming co-kitchen space in Barcelona
- Price per person: 45€ – including a 3-course dinner and wine
2. Food Waste Reduction at “Mercabarna”, the Mediterranean’s Biggest Food Hub – a Guided Walking Tour
We will take a guided walking tour around the Mediterranean’s biggest food hub. It operates 24 hours a day, housing more than 700 companies, with the aim of guaranteeing the supply of fresh food to over 10 million consumers. Our visit will lead us to the Central Fruit and Vegetable Market, the Food Bank warehouse, which serves as a collection and distribution centre for the excess fresh food donated by the companies, and the “Green Point”, where Marcabarna’s waste is collected and separated. The companies at Mercabarna specialise in the distribution, preparation, importing and exporting of fresh and frozen products, such as fruit, vegetables, fish and meat as well as processed and semi-processed food.
- Host and Location: Mercabarna
- Time: 14:00 – 16:00
- Price per person: 25€ + transportation
3. How to Preserve “Rescued” Fruit and Vegetables – A Hands-on Workshop with Delicious Results
Espigoladors will offer a 2.5 hour afternoon workshop in their kitchen where participants will learn how to preserve rescued seasonal vegetables and/or fruits using professional and traditional methods. We will try two recipes using different ways of preservation. The final products of the workshop can be taken home as a memory (but watch out – not in your hand luggage). Espigoladors is a non-profit organization that fights against food waste in and around Barcelona. They organize harvests of imperfect fruits and vegetables directly from the field and donate to charity. They also produce and sell high quality food products, such as jam, produced from rescued food. In the Espigoladors kitchen, people at risk of exclusion get a chance to re-enter the job market in a participatory, inclusive and sustainable manner.
- Host and Location: Espigoladors
- Time: 15:45 – 18:30
- Price per person: TBD + transportation
4. The Gallecs Agricultural Cooperative – A Guided Bicycle Tour through the Green Lung of Barcelona, followed by a Tasting of Regional Specialties
Gallecs is a rural area located fifteen kilometers north of Barcelona, mostly used for agriculture and forestry. The agriculture has been undergoing a transformation to organic farming. As a ‘green lung’ Gallecs is appreciated by the population in and around the area for cultural and leisure activities. At the field trip we will rent bicycles and cycle through the agricultural area. We will visit the agricultal cooperative, see their activities to recover old varieties, how vegetables are grown to supply local school canteens and visit an organic egg farm and stone mill. The visit will end with a picnic-style food tasting of products from the immediate surrounding, all organic and delicious, including the infamous TOC beer. Gallecs is managed by the Consortium del Parc de l’Espai, which consists of the Government of Catalonia, through the Departments of Territory and Sustainability and of Agriculture, Livestock, Fisheries, Food and the Natural Environment, and the municipalities in the area.
- Host: Consorci de Gallecs
- Time: 16:00 – 19:00
- Location: Gallecs, 15 km north of Barcelona
- Price per person: TBD + transportation